• Molimo vas sve da pročitate PRAVILA FORUMA i da se istih pridržavate.
  • Secret Level Discord server je LIVE! Za više informacija kliknite OVDE

Gejming "novinarstvo" i ostatak scene

Bojan

Reaction score
Verujem da bi bilo zanimljivo da imamo slicnu temu posto u poslednje vreme sve vise drame ima i oko ovoga :).

GameExplain je poznat yt kanal, proslavili su se pre svega Nintendo analizama, ali su u poslednj vreme krenuli da vijaju yt algotiram i od tada sledi pad popularnosti.
Dosta ljudi je napustilo kanal, a konacno smo saznali i zasto.

I’ll say this- if Steve was treated like a person instead of a machine and paid fairly for the amount of work he was expected to put out, I would have fully supported him staying on at GX. However for what worked out to be around $1-2 an hour between playing through games, writing and producing videos, maintaining and growing relationships with developers, working to get code for games, etc., I would have been a terrible partner NOT to encourage him to find a way to continue doing what he loves in a healthy way.

Bio sam uveren da se slabo zaradjuje, a sada smo dobili i potvrdu toga.

Bojan

Reaction score
Steve:

Alright, y'all. I've been trying to keep my distance from this, but I see a lot of questions that I feel deserve some context, and I don't want to remain silent when I feel the community deserves answers.

Everything I'm going to say is rooted in fact. I won't be offering my opinions of GX, or of Andre, just things I know to be true, because they happened to me.

I joined GameXplain in December 2018. Andre started paying me for my work in September 2019. We discussed a fee of $550. I had no idea if my videos were even worth the amount I had asked for, and I didn't know what anybody else at the channel was paid at the time.

That $550 was a flat fee per-month, not per-video and without any additional performance-based incentives. That means if I did a couple of news updates or discussions, I got that $550.

Conversely, it also means if I was reviewing TLOU2 while playing through Paper Mario TTYD and participating in Game Club, I still got just $550.

Every month I also maintained GX's email server and worked with publishers and developers to secure review copies for the entire team.

If I brought in a sponsorship deal, meaning I negotiated the deal, wrote, recorded, edited and posted the video, I would receive 33% of the proceeds, with the remaining 67% going to the channel, but those were few and far between.

I didn't consider what my hourly rate was until my wife showed me the math; she was right.

After Derrick left, Andre offered me a full-time position for $50k annually, with 25% of sponsorships I brought in being offered. This was far lower than Andre was aware I was making at my full-time job at the time, and I couldn't accept it while supporting my family. I had concerns after seeing an employment contract offered to somebody else; there were clauses contained therein that would have brought a negative impact to my career.

We’re not asking people to unfollow GX and we definitely don’t want to undermine the work the new staff there has done and continues to do. They deserve the same consideration and love that you’ve all shown us over the years and all of us are unanimously agreed that we don’t want this to undermine or reflect negatively on their efforts.

Regardless of your own opinion of Andre or GX, I'd like to ask that nobody engage in harassment of any kind. That isn't what GVG is about, and we don't condone that type of behavior, period.

I hope this sheds some light on my experience with GX. I appreciate all the messages of support I've received over the past 24 hours. I hope I've answered your questions!

And that's all I have to say about that. I love you all.

Bojan

Reaction score
Derrick:

Obviously, I’ve never posted to ResetEra before this, but I wanted to get some things out there that I’ve bottled up for some time now. I also want to provide some more context if possible, but these are just some of my experiences. First, none of us knew how much each other was making. All I knew was that I was making the most of all the employees as I had been there the longest. Each year, I would get a raise until I topped out at $5k/month in 2018. Despite asking for my yearly raise, Andre said that the channel couldn’t afford it as by that point Jon had been brought on. I didn’t mind though as having Jon on the team was a lifesaver. He was able to do updates and keep an eye on the channel, lightening my daily work load significantly. I felt expected to be on call at all times and would be nervous to even leave my home most days, fearing that some random Nintendo news would come out. This didn’t really go away until Jon joined and Aimee pushed me to take time for myself. Rarely did Andre handle an update and when it was just him, he would wait until either Jon or myself was free again to actually handle it. Before then, it always had to be done ASAP. As for GameXplain’s income, I was able to see the analytics for quite some time and the estimation is mostly on point though there were some months where it would dip below that estimation. But the high end always felt massive and I hoped that the rest of the team, especially Jon, was being compensated with that extra income. That said, I had to handle any work expenses myself for the most part, including consoles and equipment. The only part of my current setup provided by Andre is my mic. I paid for my flights to LA for E3 or trains to NY for Nintendo events while Andre would handle the cost of hotels if needed and meals if we were together. I never said anything as the expenses could be used as write-offs for my taxes and helped at the end of the year.

However, this year felt different as the team started talking more. I discovered that Jon was making less than half of what I did despite doing the same amount of work, Steve’s income has already been brought up, and Ash had stepped back from the channel for only occasional work. He would send invoices that Andre would eventually get to, but Andre always had to be reminded to send our paychecks out. We tried to get a calendar started so he could be more consistent but he resisted the idea. One other thing to know is that despite a Discord where we all chatted and coordinated, Andre would often DM each of us to ask specific things. Ostensibly it was so we could see them better, but often it felt like a way to strongarm for videos he wanted. There were many times when he wanted an update on something that I didn’t feel was worth the time as I was working on other things, but he would push until I relented. Sometimes he gave up, but that was rare. It got to a point where I would ignore or put off looking at his DMs if I was busy with something else or be more combative over the updates he wanted to put out. Andre was extremely controlling, seemingly timing things to directly disrupt plans. He gave Jon tons of work when his YouTube channel took off, making it difficult for him to make videos there. He also asked me to stop streaming to YouTube as he didn’t like old game playthroughs mixed in with our current events style. As a side note, any money I earned from Superchat had to be totaled by me and invoiced at the end of the year as a “bonus.” So leaving to Twitch served as a chance to earn money more immediately, especially with a baby on the way and Aimee still unable to work on her own projects due to the effects of COVID. I prepared people for the move for a while as I completed the final playthrough, but on the day of the final stream, Andre contacted me and asked that I stream to GameXplain’s Twitch instead.

His reason was that he wouldn’t be able to make me properly full-time if I streamed to my own Twitch, something he had been building toward through most of the year. If I streamed to my own Twitch, I would be considered a freelancer and immediately have my pay removed with rates estimated at $15-$20 per update and $100-$150 per feature or review. He said I could have full control of the GameXplain Twitch though so I felt strong-armed into taking the deal. I still got the money from subs and bits monthly but I had to go through him. It also felt like he dragged his feet to confirm Affiliate status because he thought me streaming would somehow turn people away from the new Game Club tier on the Patreon. Around September, he asked me to join a voice call where he wanted to discuss me at GameXplain going forward. I popped in at the appointed time and he asked to be on camera. It turns out he had prepared a PowerPoint where he ran down several things. How COVID had affected ad rates and lowered income, how he was still paying me the same despite this, how I was fighting him when updates had to be done, and ultimately, how I was bringing in less money for the channel then what I was being paid. It ended with a question of whether I was still loyal and still wanted an official full-time position. Again, with a baby on the way, I was scared to the point of meekness because I felt I couldn’t put Aimee and the baby in that position.

When Andre finally presented me with the full-time contract, I was in the middle of a nightmare moving situation where I could barely focus on anything. He pushed the fact that I had to make a decision as soon as possible due to timing, but I could not change my income situation without messing up my loan application. Ultimately, he gave me the time I needed and talked to the loan officers as my boss to help me get my loan. But in the intervening time, I was able to take a closer look at the contract. There were no defined set hours, no increase in pay, no overtime, no health coverage (not enough full-time employees), and overtime would only translate to extra time off, not extra pay. In addition, he wanted to approve where I appeared and when I streamed, taking away the one bit of control I had with the Twitch. It felt like I had no say in my life, everything had to go through him if I wanted to earn money beyond GameXplain. But worst of all was an NDA included with the contract. Tucked in the many points listed was a non-compete clause. Basically if I signed the contract and left or was fired from GameXplain for any reason, I would not be able to work in the same space for a year. I took this to mean no YouTube, no games media, nothing. I talked to a lot of people around this time, trying to figure out what to do. After speaking with all of them, including Aimee, Ash, Steve, and Jon, I ultimately decided to leave with Ash and Steve coming with me so we could pursue Ash’s idea of Good Vibes Gaming. It felt better to leave and attempt my own thing rather than deal with that contract and the general stress and pressure of GameXplain. Money is tight, but I am so much happier now.

I can only gratefully thank all of you who have supported Good Vibes Gaming so far whether as part of our Patreon, watching my streams, or subscribing to the channel. It means the world to me that I can happily pursue my ideas and I look forward to sharing them with our fans. Ultimately though, no matter what, I request that you don’t harass any of the new hires, Tom, or Andre. I merely want to provide more context and shed light on the position I was coming from. Thank you all for your support and take care.

Last edited:

Bojan

Reaction score
Da li uopste verujete recenzijama i mislite da je moguce biti neutralan? Da li je ok ako kompanije placaju recenzentima avione i hotele (ok, to se sada verovatno manje desava :) ).
Meni se uopste ne svidja sto bonusi zavise od metacritic score-a i sto se kompanije sve cesce odlucuju da igre proslede samo podobnim medijima.

Eurogamer je napravio odlicnu odluku kada je odlucio da vise ne ocenjuje igre. Ko je bio na NeoGAF-u kada je Uncharted 3 8/10 review izasao se verovatno seca komentara koji su usledili:

To naravno nije pocelo od juce, jos od MGS5 recenzija znamo kako ovo funkcionise:

For fear of spoilers, Konami invited journalists to review the game at five-day 'boot camps' tied to strict NDAs (non-disclosure agreements). We played between 9am to 5pm, with no unsupervised play outside these hours. That's a maximum play time of 40 hours, assuming no stoppages for eating, drinking, stretching… or reality. So you're trying to complete a 35-50 hour game (or longer, depending on your play style and the nature of your 'completion'… I can't say more), that you've been anticipating for five years, in a realistic window of 30-35 hours. On one hand, you're finally immersed in one of the deepest, most experimental, open-worlds in history – overwhelmed by side-missions, upgrades and secrets – on the other, haunted by a tick-tock race to reach the 'end' without knowing when that is.

Last edited:

stale

Crni vojvoda
Co-founder
Administrator
Veliki gospodin
Reaction score
Apsolutno im ne verujem nista, a narocitno ne ocenama. I MGS V i CP2077 su pokazali da ocene ne vrede nicemu i da daju ocene koje se od njih ocekuju. Ni jedna ni druga igra nisu smele dobiti 10/10 ocenu kad iole objektivnije pogledamo i te ocene su date na osnovu ogranicenog playtime-a i laznih obecanja. Dosta tih "novinara" je samo deo PRa igre, i tesko je naci nekog ko je pouzan a ciji se ukus poklapa sa tobom. Zato su mi online zajednice (kao nase) dobra stvar, jer retko kad igram igre day 1 i onda uglavnom unapred znam sta ce mi leci sta ne na osnovu iskustava ljudi. Naravno nije ni to uvek 100% tacno, al uglavnom se poklopimo.

Bojan

Reaction score
I meni mnogo vise znaci misljenje koje procitam ovde ili na nekim drugim forumima.
Ima i streamera cije misljenje cenim, mada su uvek pitam koliko su zaista iskreni.
CDPR je maksimalno ogolio stvari, buduci da su slali gaming merch poznatim streamerima koji su ih onda branili.
Cak su i domaci "novinari" krenuli da shilluju za velike firme :D.

Ivamark

Co-founder
Reaction score
Ja sam odavno batalio citanje opisa, sem ako neko od ove nase ekipe ne napise nesto pa eto da vidim kako je doziveo igru.
Vec sam dovoljno mator da mi bukvalno u 95% slucajeva 10 min gameplaya manje vise kaze da li ce mi se igra svideti ili ne.
A kada se lomim tu je piraterija kao demo.

Maxa

štaćukuću
Co-founder
Administrator
Reaction score
mislim da je jako teško u trulom kapitalizmu napraviti sistem gde se može verovati recenzijama stoprocentno, pogotovo otkako je gaming de fakto postao "industrija".
s druge strane mišljenja pojedinaca su uvek biased na neki način, te ni tu ne možeš biti uvek siguran da će se utisak poklopiti.

ako baš moraš da odlučiš da li ćeš nešto igrati na osnovu mišljenja i recenzija, najpametnije je povući paralele iz više izvora.

ono gde mi kao korisnici, treba da budemo pametni je - stop preorderima.

timemaster

Caelondian
Co-founder
Reaction score
ne verujem velikim sajtovima na opisima a bogami ni nasima. hell, dok sam ja pisao opise gde sam najcesce birao sta cu da opisujem, uvek sam mnogo optimisticnije i pozitivnije gledao na stvari nego sto treba da budu. zanima me da cujem misljenje najvise na ovom forumu, eventualno neki klip da pregledam mehaniku i to mi je dovoljno da u 90% slucajea odaberem je li igra za mene ili ne.

s_hyperion

"savant za igre"
Co-founder
Reaction score
Ja opise ne čitam dobrih 10 godina. Do sada sam otprilike provalio šta mi odgovara, i znam šta će mi se svideti, a šta neće, nezavisno od ocene. Jedino pročitam tu i tamo nešto kada me baš zanima šta neko misli, tipa Death Stranding.

jovcov

Nephalem
Co-founder
Reaction score
Ja ne citam, uglavnom cekiram gameplay igara, pogledam 4,5 klipova i to je to uz preporuke ljudi sa discorda i ortaka.

Yuka Sakazaki

Princess of Princess Champion
Co-founder
Administrator
Reaction score
Opise dugo ne citam, ranije sam citao samo one koje je pisao neko ciji stil pisanja gotivim. Novinari su pipci PRa, stoga ne vidim razlog da im verujem, plus je CP2077 situacija to veoma lepo potvrdila.
Pogledam gameplay video i skapiram da li bi mi igra legla, a na osnovu ko je izdavac odlucujem da li cu je kupiti ili piratizovati.
p.s. smrt preorderima!

cipak

Let's see...
Co-founder
Reaction score
Opise ne citam nikada a metacritic bih odmah ukinuo da mogu. Vec dugo retko sta igram day one tako da imam vremena da se lepo informisem o igri ovde na forumu.
Vise cenim misljenja nekih ljudi sa ovog foruma nego svih gaming novinara sveta.

Bojan

Reaction score
Oglasio se i Andre, a mozda je bolje da nije:

Ovaj lik je izgleda gazdovao kao da je iz Srbije :D

Nisam to ocekivao, ali ih masa bas urnise na yt:

Poslednji video ima vise dislajkova nego lajkova, a i komentari su uglavnom vezani za dramu.

nebojsa986

Reaction score
Pa kad radis 9 meseci za dz, nije ni cudo sto te ljudi tretiraju kao otirac, da da u toj idealnoj internet iluziji svi treba da budu pravedni posteni itd, ali u realnosti sam je sebe zaglibio.

Bojan

Reaction score
Slazem se.
Problem je sto i oni koji jesu bili placeni uopste nisu imali predstavu koliko kanal zaradjuje i koliko ostali dobijaju.
Postovao je brainchild nesto o tome ovde:

Njega bas cenim, pisao je lik jako detaljne analize i na forumu i na yt.

Apex

Patron
Reaction score
mislim da je jako teško u trulom kapitalizmu napraviti sistem gde se može verovati recenzijama stoprocentno, pogotovo otkako je gaming de fakto postao "industrija".
s druge strane mišljenja pojedinaca su uvek biased na neki način, te ni tu ne možeš biti uvek siguran da će se utisak poklopiti.

ako baš moraš da odlučiš da li ćeš nešto igrati na osnovu mišljenja i recenzija, najpametnije je povući paralele iz više izvora.

ono gde mi kao korisnici, treba da budemo pametni je - stop preorderima.

Apsolutno, taj preorder pa whine mentalitet mi je gori od svega što rade kompanije.

nebojsa986

Reaction score
Pa to, ne moze mi niko uvaliti ni igru ni pr recenziju ako nisam gulible idiot, a ako jesam imam vecih problema sigurno od nesto bacenih para na losu igru. Dakle, jeste ruzno za videti da je gaming novinarstvo samo to po imenu, ali realno ne dotice me previse.

darkado

Reaction score
Reci cu samo da su nam vracali tekstove za izvesne emisije na izvesnoj televiziji kad su bili previse grubi. Ja sam to resavao tako sto sam pisao istu stvar malcice drugacije dok nije proslo :D

Sent from my Poco F2 Pro using Tapatalk

Bojan

Reaction score
Cak je i VICE pisao o ovome, pa je Andre morao da objavi jos jedno "izvinjenje" koje je bilo za nijansu bolje od prvog, ali i dalje prilicno lose.
Ok, fino je sto se o ovome pricalo i pisalo, jer ce sigurno pozitivno uticati na profesiju.

Ali sta dalje?
Na ERI je krenula diskusija o tome kako bi trebalo banovati GameXplain na sajtu i na taj nacin ih ne reklamirati.
To mi je skroz ok, njihov je forum, njihova je i odluka.

Ono sto mi nije ok, a sto se cesto desava na internetu u poslednje vreme, je sto su ljudi izvukli vile i krenuli u napad.
Krenuo je masivan downwote na yt, kao i negativni komentari.
Andre je ocigledno idiot, ali nije nikoga ubio. Ovo utice i na ostale ljude koji prave sadrzaj na GE.
Stara ekipa sa sajta je otisla u GVG i Nintendo Life. Ako su oni radi da krenu dalje, mogli bi i internet ratnici :).

Top Bottom